I am Isobel-Marie Johnston, a PhD Candidate at Arizona State University where I study how concepts of body and religiosity interface with experiences of ritual and well-being. My dissertation will:
- Explore what it means to experience healing through mikvah”.
- Contextualize these experiences in a comprehensive overview Jewish ritual life in North America today;
- Offer insights on how various patterns of thinking about body, healing, and spirituality manifest across the (non)denominational and ostensibly secular landscapes of Judaism in the U.S.A. & Canada;
- Analyze to what extent these North American patterns in Jewish ritual living and these concepts about body, healing, and spirituality are shared in the United Kingdom, with implications for the possibilities of healing through mikvah in the UK.
To learn more about my professional credentials, research, publications, etc… visit either:
- my curriculum vitae within this blog site.